Job ID: 00404485
Sr. Manager, DBA Admin
Who we are
At Roche, 82,000 people across 150 countries are pushing back the frontiers of healthcare. Working together, we’ve become one of the world’s leading research-focused healthcare groups. Our success is built on innovation, curiosity and diversity.
A member of the Roche Group, Genentech has been at the forefront of the biotechnology industry for more than 30 years, using human genetic information to develop novel medicines for serious and life-threatening diseases. Genentech has multiple therapies on the market for cancer & other serious illnesses. Please take this opportunity to learn about Genentech where we believe that our employees are our most important asset & are dedicated to remaining a great place to work.
The senior DBA manager leads and manages a staff of Database Administrator (DBA) professionals for Genentech database environment that includes Oracle and SQL Server. The individual will work with other global IT team leaders to translate the organization's IT strategy into specific database roadmaps and deliverables, measures the effectiveness of the delivery model, and track progress against plan and operational Service Level Agreements (SLA). The individual will provide management and implementation of strategic initiatives for the enterprise databases services in the charge toward efficiency and optimization. In addition, the individual is responsible for developing processes and procedures for overall IT Operations, upgrading and maintaining IT processes,production controls, capacity planning, and system backups and recovery.
Key Strategic Objectives
* Lead the organization through organizational change, technology transformation, and sustained growth while exhibiting excellent judgment on how to prioritize between operational excellence and financial prudence
* Drive successful creation of a strong team dynamic in a collaborated and risk-taking
culture. Translate the organization's strategy into tactical execution plans replete with key performance measures and monitor the results on regular basis
* Improve Genentech's return on invested capital by having a systematic capacity planning process to maximize the utilization of assets and increase the velocity of infrastructure investment in virtualization and cloud computing.
* Build and develop future leaders of the organizations while advancing Genentech's image as one of the best places to work in America.
• The right candidate for this position is well organized, and an exceptional communicator with his/her team, peers, executive management, and the company.
• This person must be able to lead and manage change. The individual will live by metrics, staying ahead of the tactical while also deeply understanding the needs of various business teams to appropriately plan for growth and change.
• Demonstrated ability to lead and energize multidisciplinary teams with gifted communication and interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated analytical, problem-solving and conceptual skills.
• Ability to analyze project needs and determine resources needed to meet objectives.
• Demonstrated negotiation skills with vendors or management and ability to influence management regarding matters of significance to the organization.
• The successful candidate must be able to establish credibility very quickly in organization with shifting priorities.
• The individual must be a strong leader who can prioritize well, communicate clearly and compellingly and who understands how to drive a high level of focus and excellence with a strong, talented, opinionated team.
• The individual will have a technical aptitude particularly in the database domain and be credible as leader in a technical organization.
• The individual will be able to articulate with full clarity the aspiration of his teams, and achieve results through influence and leadership rather than direct authority
Who you are
You’re someone who wants to influence your own development. You’re looking for a company where you have the opportunity to pursue your interests across functions and geographies. Where a job title is not considered the final definition of who you are, but the starting point.
Bachelors degree required
* 7 years experience in a senior or team lead position in addition to 4 - 5 years
of management experience at the supervisory or management level
* Increasing responsibility of hands-on and leadership IT experience gained with
Pharmaceutical or Biotechnology companies is preferred.
* A minimum of 5-7 years experience in database architecture, engineering, or
* Must have experience setting strategy, developing database solutions,
process re-engineering, database optimization, and implementation which have
resulted in a measurable effect on the productivity and cost of running such an
* Experience managing large-scale database and platform upgrade is viewed as
a plus, particularly any exposure to Oracle RAC and Grid Control, and Linux.
* Experience with other database technology is an advantage i.e. MySql, IBM
DB2, or other opensource database technology.
* Exposure in managing and supporting large-volume Data Warehouse and
1+TB VLDB is a definite plus. Understanding of underlying hardware, network, storage technology , and underlying data center operations is essential for success in this position.
The next step is yours. To apply today, click on the "Apply online" button below.
Roche is an Equal Opportunity EmployerApply online