Procurement in Pharma
Roche Pharma spends several billion Swiss Francs annually to buy materials and services. The challenge of the procurement organisation is to ensure that this spend is processed efficiently and managed optimally in order to deliver better value for money.
Global Strategic Procurement
The responsibility of this organisation is to develop, manage and monitor a globally harmonized procurement framework (including policy, processes, systems, performance management) to ensure world-class procurement within Roche Pharma and to guide and support affiliates and functions in implementing the framework.
The Functional Organisations/Local Organisations in Basel
The functional and local organisations are responsible for the procurement activities of the Basel Headquarter functions (Corporate/Pharma/Diagnostics) and the Pharma Global functions (Technical Operations/Manufacturing, Research, Development, Informatics and Marketing).
The Functional/Local Organisations are responsible for the strategic procurement of the core activities of a function and for the local operational procurement (from requisition to payment) and local sourcing for materials and services. By thorough analysis of global and local spend, value opportunities are identified and optimal, risk balanced solutions for the supply of materials and services are developed and implemented together with customers and the suppliers. This follows a systematic approach by developing a category strategy, run sourcing projects, manage contracts and continuous improve supplier performance by supplier relationship management together with internal customers and suppliers.
The Functional/Local Organisations handle a diversity of procurement areas e.g.
- Advertising, promotion services
- Chemicals, drugs and pharmaceuticals products
- Clinical Monitoring
- Congresses, events, meetings and seminars
- Construction works incl. HVAC and electrical installations, building automation
- Data Management
- Engineering/design and architecture contracts for investment projects
- Equipment for chemical, galenical and biotechnical production and development and packaging
- Informatics services, maintenance, contractors
- IT office System and Network hardware / Software
- Laboratory equipment / instruments
- Live plant, animals and supply
- Market research
- Office equipment, accessories and supplies
- Print and reproduction services
- Research alliances / participations
- Temporary personnel
The procurement organisations handle over 1’000 Mio CHF order volume and process over 120’000 orders per year.