Employee story

From rebooting expert to my Gen-AI Assistant in 15 years.
My Tech-Journey

Did you know at Roche we have more than 20.000 users on our Development Platforms? Or more than 50 million lines of code? Join me for this article and I’ll tell you more about how we leverage Artificial Intelligence to help patients and our own employees to achieve better results, and how we drive digital innovation through cutting-edge technologies in our internal developer platform
​​​​​​​I’ve been working in the IT Industry for 15 years. Back in 2008, I used to joke that 99% of the problems in IT were solved by rebooting/rebuilding, the remaining 1% we didn’t know. It was a time of less technological complexity, but at the same time, less capabilities and features. Fast forward 15 years and here I am, asking our Roche Internal ChatGPT to suggest titles and intros for an article that may or may not be the one you are reading…
Embarking on my 15-year odyssey at Roche has been an evolution from sys admin to Product Line Lead. Roche's commitment to innovation and excellence shaped my diverse roles—leading mergers in Barcelona, steering projects globally, and pioneering strategic shifts. From being a Global Delivery Manager in Barcelona to a Business Partner in Kuala Lumpur, each chapter has been a rich tapestry of challenges and triumphs. Witnessing the transformative power of an integrated hardware and Software Development platform in Tucson fueled my passion and now, as the Product Line Lead for our Developer Platform in Basel, Switzerland, my team of over 100 DevSecOps Engineers fuels innovation.
 "I think I have the coolest job and team. My job right now is split into two main areas: Developer Platforms, and our Global AI Strategy. 
We get to work with platforms like GitHub, GitLab, Terraform, Vault, Jenkins, etc. We run a state of the art Software Development Stack, and then on the other hand, I’m a core member of our GALILEO (Global AI Strategy with initial focus on Large and Intelligent LanguagE mOdels) project, to define how are we going to implement our Global AI Strategy." 
As the guardian of Developer Platforms and torchbearer of the Global AI Strategy, my role extends beyond a position—it's a commitment to shaping the future of healthcare tech. Orchestrating a state-of-the-art Software Development Stack using platforms like GitHub, GitLab, Terraform, Vault, and Jenkins, our team operates from the innovation hub in Basel.

GALILEO, our visionary project, spearheads Roche's Global AI Strategy. Leveraging Large Language Models and generative AI solutions, we're on the cusp of a revolutionary shift. Roche's 2030 goals demand a paradigm shift, and our strategic use of Generative AI isn't just about automation; it's about doubling the speed of testing code changes, reducing time-to-market, and bringing life-altering solutions to more patients.

Our AI-powered Companion App propels developers into realms of unprecedented speed and excellence. Beyond the code, our AI accelerates critical capabilities like Protocol Summary, Contract Analysis, and Drug Approval Summarization, making a tangible impact on the healthcare landscape.

What we deliver is more than a platform; it's a conduit for our business to seamlessly access AI services, eliminating the need to build from scratch. Simultaneously, we uphold rigorous standards of security and compliance demanded by our industry regulations. Our journey isn't just about technology; it's a relentless pursuit of excellence, a commitment to innovation, and a pledge to fulfill Roche's vision for the future of healthcare.
Are you feeling energized by my tech odyssey? Dive deeper into the dialogue on meaningful work and innovation.
​​​​​​​Consider joining the Roche family, where, together, we sculpt the future of healthcare tech. Your unique perspective can make a profound difference!
Published: 2023.11.23.